Wednesday 17 July 2019

Bulletin Number 7 ~ From TURP to TWOC to TWERP (After the Operation)

Don't normally think about it ~ pee that is. Nature has a way of managing these things beneath the level of awareness. But what happens when you discover that not all the pee you void and see, is all that's being produced and got rid of? Some of it remains inside and you can't actually see how much.

Wish I could lift a flap or have an app to check my levels. Recently I've been measuring, so I know what's going in ~ coming out. But as I said, because you can't see inside, it's hard to know what's left over.

There's always something, but, if there's too much left in the bladder and it's hanging around, that's not good apparently ~ could back-up and damage the kidneys. An ultrasound scan would show me ~ I've had these ~ but you can't keep going to the hospital to do this test all the time.

If there's too much left over, you need to get rid of it somehow and that means a catheter. Over the past year, for this very reason, I've catheterised myself over a thousand times ~ ouch, not fun. I recently stopped doing this after the 'rebore' operation and I'm now a couple of weeks into a Trial Without Catheter or TWOC as they call it. 

It's great not using a catheter, and being the TWOC ~ that's what they call me ~ but it will take a while (several months) to recover and see if the operation has been a success. However, I'm gradually feeling better day by day and I've decided to revert to being what I've always been, (as several people would agree ~ I know who you are), a TWERP. 

Being a TWERP means that I can lead a life of Totally Wonderful Everyday Regular Pees. As nature intended I think. I don't mean to be reckless and kid myself, and I remain vigilant and mindful of the hazards of not being fully informed and aware of what's really going on inside my body. But until they develop a miniature scanner, an app or a flap, what more can you do?

Just like the pee, the urge and stress to check all the time comes and goes ~ I guess for the moment, I'll allow myself to accept the situation, move steadily from TURP to TWOC to TWERP, be mindful of it all and let it be. Here's hoping. 😉🤞

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share a thought or two....